Wednesday 28 August 2013

Is There A Doctor In The House!?



Greetings and blessings to one and all! Whether this is the 1st time you’re reading my blog or have been with me from day 1 when I started in Gambia, West Africa, I pray that my words touch your heart and mind: that you be encouraged, enlightened and entertained as you walk with me on my journey.

One thing I have to admit is that I have been inconsistent with writing every week as I was in Gambia. Seems I’m distracted with the goings on in my daily life of getting resettled back in Chicago.   

I came back on all around zero, so I’m working hard at filling up that which was empty! That includes but not limited to my energy, my own place to stay, a car, grounding and developing my organization here as well as maintaining it in Africa, being the matriarch for my family and making sure my health is in order. 

Let me fill you in on the healthcare exploits since my return. I commented in one of my blog post when I was in Gambia that I did not go to the doctor there unless it was an emergency. It’s not the fault of the system or people it’s just that certain things there are limited in more ways than one. So one of the 1st things on my “to do list” when I got back here was to schedule my annual physical. Now I must say, thank GOD I have health insurance, but what’s with the referral system in healthcare? Geez!!!!

Since I’ve been back I’ve been in a hospital or clinic setting 7 times. Yep 7 times in 76 days, whoa!  Mind you I’m fairly healthy, praise GOD, but I do have an ache here and a pain there! So it seems to me wherever there is an ache or pain you’re referred to this doctor or that doctor for each thing. Huh, what!? What happened to the days that you GP took care of all that? My GP could not even interpret a test result from another doctor I’d been referred to. And oh yeah, those referrals are ten times as much per visit than that of a visit with my GP. Is there a kickback scheme to this referral thing I wonder, especially since they’re usually all in the same network!? Hmmmm....

Here’s an example: at my stage in life a colonoscopy is recommended every 5-10 years as part of a wellness physical. Ok that means a referral to a GI Doctor to schedule the procedure at the cost of $40.00. Mind you he didn’t touch or examine me. The crisp white paper on his exam table didn’t get sat on or wrinkled. He just scheduled the procedure. I started to just rip off a sheet and ball it up for the heck of it to get a piece of some $40.00 paper! Hahahahaha!!! Now in order to get the results of the procedure I have to go back to him to give me those results and spend another $40.00, Dang!  

Not to mention doctors that will give you a prescription for only 30 days and tell you to come back in 30 days for a refill. Huh, what!? That means another fee for him or her. I tell you folks it seems like a racket to me and I’m a nurse!

Now I’m far from being financially rich and thank GOD I don’t have to take a lot of medication, but $40.00 here and $50.00 there takes a chunk out of my finances. But what about those that are facing health challenges, elderly and infirmed that do need constant medical follow up and medications. This is a maze that needs to be straightened out with a quickness. Ok, I won't rant, but this is a truth about a system that is faulty and broken.


 I’m just saying!




No comments:

Post a Comment