Thursday 24 January 2013

Victoria's African Proverbs....



I’m sorry I didn’t post on Monday, but I was given an unexpected assignment that day that I had to complete that day. Did it, done! I hope to tell you about it later.

When I’m not with you, you are on my mind! I’ve missed writing for you and sharing with you. Thanks for hanging in there with me! You guys are great, especially those of you that have been with me from day 1’s post, “Lacing Up My Shoes”. 

I don’t know about you, but there is a certain something, energy, excitement in the air. It’s the 1st time that I can remember that I could feel something shift in the atmosphere with the coming of a new year, but hey it could just be me and an answered prayer. I’ve prayed for this shift so I must give GOD all praises and continual thanks. 

This is probably a good place to pick up from my last post on my journey, “Just Say No”. I hope you like and appreciate the history lessons I post on Fridays. Don’t think for one minute that I’m sharing information about this culture and teaching about mine, uh uh! 

Yes I had a lot of time to reflect on the time I had spent here so far while waiting for my insurance to kick in before I could have surgery to get rid of the pain and I could walk again. It took seven months! Dang, geez! Now imagine if I would’ve been taking the extra strength narcotic pain killers four times a day, every day for those seven months! Not to mention the ones they tried to give after I did have the surgery. Geez, I’d still be in rehab!

I see Africa differently now that I’ve lived here. Africa has become a reality to me and not a fantasy. You know what I mean? It’s no longer on the bucket list, although I do want to go all over this continent, well maybe not all over. 

Many people from the African Diaspora talk about Africa with a longing, a yearning that to just touch the soil would and fulfil their soul, soothe their inner spirit. I understand that, it was me as well. I’ve touched the soil and the feeling is eased, but it’s there someplace in you that you can not find. I think knowing your tribe has a lot to do with that and I do not know my tribe. No matter, I love the feel of Africa. It’s like a heartbeat.

Anyway I think that when some Africans from the Diaspora think of Africa they think of it as paradise. Even though we hear from the media and see images about how much hunger, disease and poverty that is in Africa many still may believe that it’s Shangri La. It may be that, but that doesn’t mean that some of the same problems we see else where in the world are not seen here. Teen pregnancies, single mothers, disrespectful youth, disrespect of elders and the like are here along with the other severe problems that are reported and under reported. 

When we see ourselves we should see Africa. We are the same people. The bright colors, hanging on the corner, children starting not to act like children.

The village falls a part if everyone leaves for the city. I mean that figuratively and literally. Our families all over the world are at risk as we move away from each other and every body minds their own business while minding your business. Huh, what!?

OK, I’ll break it down, humph, the longer I’m here the more proverbs doth I speaketh! Hahaha as people begin to seek things and focus on having this or that it takes the focus off of family and community, and then cohesiveness is gone. So if you see a neighbor’s child or any other person doing this or that you won’t stop to correct that person, but you’ll gossip or judge what that person has done. Got me!  “Minding your own business while minding some one else’s”.

So no matter where we’re at in the world we need find some glue to get the cohesiveness back in us so we can be a village again. Once the village is strong those that left for the city will return. Hmmmmmmm

     Back tomorrow with some more information on West African Instruments!

No comments:

Post a Comment