Friday 16 November 2012

Giving


 Oooouuuuuch! That hurt! Every so often I have to pinch myself to make sure I’m not dreaming or on some weird trip. I’m actually here; here in Africa living, discovering and doing more than just being.  The thought of it makes me well up inside so that I often find myself fighting back tears. This feeling comes from something way down deep in me. I had that experience again today on my way to the gym. Yes they have gyms in Africa! Same equipment, classes and what have you. Geez! I mentioned before that not all Africa is starving!

Granted though when it’s there poverty is extreme everything is more extreme it seems here. Or it could just be that everything is in your face. In the states things are in neat packages. That’s what media and so called civil order does, wrap up all the problems in a neat package so the world doesn’t see, especially our poverty so no wonder people think if I can just make it to America I’ll be alright. 

One thing that’s not hidden in the states or here are beggars. Now I have quite a few mixed emotions about that, but I absolutely detest seeing a woman with children beg. Especially when she’s using the children for trying to invoke sympathy towards her cause, yuk! You see that a lot here, I can’t ever remember seeing that in the states. I won’t give to her, that might be wrong, but I think that it reinforces a behavior that’s carried on for generations and I really don’t like the idea of her using her children like that. Like in the states people here that beg are usually out side of banks and grocery stores. Funny, it’s rare to see some outside of a restaurant saying they’re hungry, hmmmm. I was with my son’s mother in law one Sunday after church at the Taco and Burrito House on North Broadway in Chicago. A youngish guy came up to us asking for $5 because he was hungry and we told him that he could come inside and get food, but no money. He had to sit there and literally force the food down, he tried to refuse it, but we insisted since he said he wanted food. Uh huh, that’s what you get when you pick the two wrong chicks!  Anyway I digress….

One day I was in Banjul doing some shopping and a man was going on about his way and he passed me going in the opposite direction, I could see it as plain as day the expression change on his face; it occurred to him that I was foreign and he should ask me for money! Hahahahaha…. He whipped around and began to following me and started begging, I looked at him and laughed and said that’s not even what you’re here for, and he himself laughed and turned and went on his way!                 

When I first got here the number of people begging was overwhelming. It was if they would just engulf you: women with children, people with deformities, the blind and young strong men. beggars here are organized. they clash with police, go on strike, huh, what!? Yes they go on strike. there is even a book and play about it. http://tukopamoja.wordpress.com/2008/03/06/africa-reading-challenge-review-the-beggars-strike-by-aminata-sow-fall/

I prayed and asked GOD to give me a way to help the people because I felt so bad just giving to some. I knew in my heart there had to be away to help that went past what you could put in that person’s hand at that time. When you see some of the physical deformities here your mind cannot comprehend how a body can be twisted or shaped. In the states a person with such deformities are in some institution. There no places like that here.

All this was a part of what has help to develop me because I know that it all had to do with me finding and understanding my purpose. I know this is a great gift because may people never know or find their purpose. 

We are here to be a blessing to others. Think outside yourself, extend yourself and give you! It doesn't take a lot of money; in fact you can give you freely. Remember, it’s nice to be nice!



I’ll be back on Monday with the cliff hanger by GOD’s will. So get ready! Have a blessed weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment