Monday 5 November 2012

The Familiar




Wow, the celebration at my church here in Gambia was simply amazing and the WORD that was delivered was answer to my prayers! I’m refreshed, even more inspired and ready to for this journey to kick into high gear!  

Funny thing and truth is that I didn’t even go to church before I came to Africa. I’m a believer, read my Bible every day and have so for over 20 years, praise and worship GOD, but church was just not my thing. Church people turned me off and some of them still do, but I now know that I’m not going for them, but for me. For years I worked a job with a shift from 7:00AM-7:30PM on Saturdays and Sundays and when I wasn’t on that shift I would watch church from my bed after hanging out on Saturday nights till the wee hours on Sunday morning. 

So what changed? Africa made me miss going to church! It snuck up on me really, nothing planned or though out. After being here a few months someone asked me what I missed most about living outside of the states and surprisingly I said going to church! Huh, what, where’d that come from, who said that? I said it without a thought; it just flowed from the depths of me.  I went on to explain to my shocked acquaintance that the African American Church represented an experience, the African American Experience, part of my familiar. Even if you’re not Christian the African American Church stands for so much in our communities, history, liberty, education as well as miseducation.   

The familiar is more important than we give it credit for. Take food for example: people ask me what do you eat? Huh, what!? I eat local Africa Dishes and things I"m used to from the states, some may have to be modified to what s available, but you get use to the substitutions. Many of the local dishes have a familiar taste and I imagine what we call “Soul Food” is only a variation of traditional African Dishes. Take Yassa, which is basically smothered whatever, fish, chicken meat or just veggies over steamed rice, yum. I don’t eat meat and was not eating fish before living here, but added it to my diet for the protein.  Nyebbeh is beans, usually made with black eyed peas or small red beans in a spicy sauce that many people including me eat for breakfast on a baguette. There’s usually a woman near by selling it for about 20 cents and the baguette will cost you another 20, but hey you can’t beat that! Sounds weird for breakfast, but once you try it with a good cup of coffee you’ll be hook! Meat balls, or fish balls are called “bullet” and that’s probably cause when the Europeans came with guns the bullets were round then like spicy meat and fish balls. Let's not even talk about the freshly ground peanut butter without all the additivies, ummm! It’s all relative.
 

It’s avocado season so last night I made guacamole to go along with my spicy tortilla chips I bought at the super market.  One of my quickie familiar dishes is Ramen Noodles, yes I said that! I like the curry flavor variety and I add frozen spinach, baby corn, and fresh carrots, a few slices of ginger and scallions with a twist of lemon or lime at the end. Quick healthy 10 minute dinner when you want a break fro the sauces and rice of the local dishes.

Africa is always alive and lively, but night time is a whole different story. It’s almost like an outdoor party begins after 8:00PM. So when you see people in the states hanging out at night, especially on the corner with no agenda that too is a part of the familiar. 

The familiar is important and a part of you, it is part of your roots! The heart and soul of you! That thing that sometimes you try to forget, but like a magnet it has a pull on your being you can’t explain or run from.


Fresh Roasted Peanuts (groundbuts)
 So I guess that’s why Africa brought me back to church, it’s my familiar!  For that I'm forever thankful! Tomorrow we start talking about the struggle!

No comments:

Post a Comment