Monday 31 December 2012

Blessed 2013



I’ve missed you! There was no way possible I could not add a post to my blog before this day ends. I’m going to deviate from the course I was on in this post and share some thoughts with you. Please remember that is always OK that we agree to disagree on issues. Everybody has a voice, this is mine!

Most people are hooked into “New Year” festivities and making resolutions. I’m not into that at all, the reolution aspect of it! A new year’s resolution is declaration to do something or make some kind of change from what is current. What I don’t get is that if you are aware of an existing problem or situation in your life why you would wait till a new year to do it. Some may say that it’s because with a new year you have a fresh start, but to me each day, each hour, each minute, each second, each moment is a fresh start. Tomorrow is not promised to anyone so that very thing you said you’ll do tomorrow you may not actually get a chance to do.  “Just do it”, as the slogan goes!  

I think that this point of view has come about as I mature in age and wisdom. I’m far from completion in my growth and maturity and I’m subject to procrastination like anyone else. That’s what I see the so called New Year’s resolutions as, procrastination. It’s obvious that when a person makes a resolution they have determined to do, change or fix something in their lives. Why wait till a new year? Suppose it’s February and you notice you want to make a change. Will you want to the following January to do it? That would be such a waste and like I said, well really not me but the WORD, tomorrow is not promised. Let us not live with regret and put off tomorrow what we can do today. That’s not progress or development that’s jumping on the bandwagon.  A ride too many of us have taken, will take or are on right now.  

Speaking of the bandwagon, far too many people jump on way too fast. Most that are riding the bandwagon have not gathered any information about the ride they are taking before we jump on, but get caught in the frenzy or hype that’s fueling the wagon. Just look a P Diddy putting on a kilt casue Kanye did it. I wonder who's next? Or people caught up into the world is going to end this day or that, geez!

In case you don’t know what the “bandwagon” is, here’s some information from Wikipedia: In layman’s term the bandwagon effect refers to people doing certain things because other people are doing them, regardless of their own beliefs, which they may ignore or override. The perceived "popularity" of an object, person or something may have an effect on how it is viewed on a whole. For instance, once a product becomes popular, more people tend to "get on the bandwagon" and buy it, too. The bandwagon effect has wide implications, but is commonly seen in politics, consumer and social behavior.

See what I mean! We have to be very careful of this. People, communities, countries, even whole continents can be and have been manipulated by this process. Sometimes for the good, but often for the bad. Take for instance the craziness of young men wearing their pants below their behinds with their underwear showing. We now have a culture with young men all around the world doing this, even here in Africa. Wow, imagine what a postive message can do!

In essence we must be careful and mindful of what we do and say everyday, especially in the presence of our children. We all agree that we want a better tomorrow so that means we’re mindful of what we do today!

 
                                                                Blessed 2013!


I love you all and pray for the good of everyone. May those things you declare come to pass and may you enjoy each new day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment