Friday 5 October 2012

African Paradox

Many people are hurting and trying to run or hide from that hurt. Africa is a place where so many of them come. I have met so many broken people and criminals here, seriously: stolen art dealers, con artist, traffickers of all sorts, pediphiles, just to name a few. Poor unsuspecting African People, but because they're looking for things outside themselves they unknowingly  invite culprits into their homes and lives!

Substandard materials and products are in Africa as well. It seems that the world dumps and ships their used, not up to code, poorly manufactured, scrap, even garbage to Africa. Huh, what, the birth place of mankind and so called civilization!?

Why; when did Africa become a place to receive the worst when what it produces is the best?
What the world doesn't want is deposited here and what the world does want is taken form here. What a paradox!

Africa is beautifully mysterious filled with so many wonders that a lifetime is not enough to behold, feel or experience even half of them. I love Africa!!! I'm still in awe that I'm here living, working, developing, caring and sharing! 

Don't get me wrong I have my days when I just can't stand it! Days when the people are really a bit much for my nerves or understanding; days that are too hot and NAWEC (National Water and Electricity Company) is unstable and that can be often; days when you're trying to get some simple paper work completed, but the staff at the offices you need help from are slower than usual doing their jobs cause they're looking for a bribe to move faster; days when a meeting starts at 12:00 when it was scheduled for 9:00 and days when you're on your last dime and people are begging you for that dime, even though they know it's your last. Days when you just want to be surrounded by your family, friends and familiar. Those days I rush to get back inside and lock my door to hold on to my peace, solitude and soundness of mind.

I didn't come to Africa cause I was hurting, running from something, in search of myself or anything else. I simply followed my spirit! Coming to live in Gambia was never on my agenda. I thought I would land in Ghana, a place where so many African Americans are relocating to if any place. I've spent time there and loved it! Ghana is very diverse and the landscape is breathtaking! From what I understand there are many advantages for African Americans migrating there, but as GOD would have it here I am in The Gambia.

My first visit to Gambia was in 2000; I was in Dakar, Senegal waiting on a tour group I had organized and had a few days to bump around before they arrived so I decided to pop over with a person that I thought was my friend.  Gambia is bordered by Senegal except the West Coast which is the Atlantic Ocean. We stayed at the Atlantic Hotel in Banjul (won't make that mistake again). We didn't get a chance to experience too much because the hotel is too far out of the way of the runnings here, but I got a vibe that I wanted to see more of the country. 

Well like it's said, "be careful what you wish for"; I spent my honeymoon in Gambia in 2001. That's right I said honeymoon! The marriage was so short lived; I knew when I was getting married that it was not the right thing to do and was just doing something to be doing something. Anyway, we spent ten days in an area called Kololi on the compound of one of his friends. It was really kind of boring, but I still felt this vibe that I wanted to see more. Not of the marriage, but Gambia.

Well in 2003 I was having a discussion with the female I thought was my friend and we were discussing possibilities of living in Africa and she asked me what part of Africa would I consider living in; In my heart, mind and breath it was Ghana, but when I opened my mouth Gambia came out and I couldn't force it back in. It was if something other than me was speaking for me; so in 2004 I came to Gambia for 6 weeks to see what opportunities were available, if I liked it well enough to plan for my future here and so forth and so on. I didn't want to or plan to stay, it just happened. My so called friend convinced me to stay; she said, "you don't want to be in the states anyway, I can handle things here and help you there (we were room mates)". She meant this not to be a friend or to be helpful, but to keep me out of the way and use me. Little did I know she  was a "Crackhead". I had defended this chick, went to bat for her, was a true friend and this broad stab me in the back in the worse way! That's OK cause what the devil meant for bad, GOD meant it for my good!
Slave Never Again!

During those six weeks I could feel a moving in my spirit so I tuned in and began to listen closer to what GOD was telling me and showing me. I felt myself expanding! I no longer felt like I was in the little box you check that loosely describes your profession. I kept asking my inner self, my spirit; what is this? All I could hear was, "Follow and let me show you"! I trusted GOD and obeyed, I'm still following!
      

3 comments:

  1. This is a Great message Titi V. I will follow my heart just as you have done!! Love you and stay PRAYED UP!! XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see if this works for me. I do love reading your blog, it certainly stirs up a lot of emotions in me regarding living in Jamaica, so much of the WOW and RAW factors are similar. I truly respect you on your journey.
    More blessing along your path Sis.
    LeeAnne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much love and blessings to you both! We all have a journey and often times they are best when shared!

    ReplyDelete