Monday 15 October 2012

Oops!



I forgot to pay on my internet account, so I’ve been offline since Friday evening. I’ve really missed you all very much! The office where I have my account is usually open on Saturdays except for Set Settal or “Operation Clean the Nation”.

This day, “Set Settal” is usually the last Saturday of every month and I’m not sure why it was held on the second Saturday this month. This day is set apart for everyone in the country to clean the areas in which they live. It can be a community or individual effort. No vehicles are allowed on the streets (accept government) from 8:00AM-1:00PM. It’s a great concept, but not everybody participates. There are laws here just like in America for littering, but many people just like in the states don’t abide by it. Many offices are closed on this day and my net provider was one of them. 

Now I’m in the hurry up and wait mode: took care of the net bill, but now the net is in and out.
The last few days have been busy and I’m tired; didn’t even go to the gym today, but GOD willing I will go tomorrow.

My organization, “It’s Nice To Be Nice (INTBN) International” conducted registration for the fourth session of our,” Female Adult Literacy Program” last Wednesday and Saturday and we are overbooked. It’s been extra busy for me since I’m training a new teacher and asst program manager. I have had the same teacher and program manager since the projects inception in 2010, but the teacher is on maternity leave and the manager on study leave. I don’t mind cause it’s such a joy to be able to serve, teach and help others. This will give my two new employees skills and opportunities they didn’t have before and that’s what it’s all about, not to mention what it does for the students! The program offers more than teaching the women to read and write; it s a big self esteem booster!

Yesterday after church I was in a village named, Giboro to look at some property with a couple of my friends. The price can’t be beat, but it has terms that don’t quite make me feel comfortable. Besides, I felt like I walked through miles of forest to get to the allotted properties. That was an adventure within itself in the over 100 degree heat! Since it’s at the end of the rainy season everything is lush and green so you really have to keep your eyes open or at least be on guard cause who knows what lurks in the thick grasses, bushes and tall trees.  After I saw where one of my friends had bought two plots I knew that it was a no go for me so I decided to turn back and walk to the car alone as they trudged further into the forest. Truly I’m a city girl, no shame in my game either! Anyway the first thing I encountered was a man with a machete slung over his shoulder: we exchanged greetings and I continued on the narrow path. Next were two young men on a cart pulled by a donkey going through the brush. As I eased on down the road I heard this rustling ahead of me, but I couldn’t see what was there because it was a bend in the narrow path I was walking on. I proceeded with caution as I said a prayer while being a little frightened but excited about what I was about to encounter! Hahahahaha, a big eyed calf, calf probably thought, “A big eyed woman”!  It looked at me, I looked at it and it diverted into the brush and passed quietly on my right. Phew, I was so glad to get back to the car!  

Today I had the privilege of teaching a young lady about her menstrual cycle and her reproductive system. I am going to incorporate that into our core curriculum. Most women here and even many in the states don’t have a clue about the hows, whys and whats of their bodies. I didn’t either when I was younger. Your mother or some other woman gets the supplies, gives them to you and that’s it. You’re left on your own to figure it out from there and some never get it.

Like I said earlier, I’m tired so now off to bed. Have a blessed evening everyone and keep reading! Much Love and peace!

2 comments: