Wednesday 10 October 2012

I Feel Better Now!




Truly I do! I’ve been sick: in fact I started writing this blog on the upside. I met a sistah/friend in Banjul a couple of weeks ago so we could go shopping together for some African Fabrics. Remember I mentioned before that I like to design my own clothes. It may surprise most people to know that most of those vibrant, commercial African Fabrics are actually not printed or are from Africa. Sorry, sad but true; most have their European or other origin stamped around edges the fabric, especially Belgium.

Anyway like I was saying before I went off to the left: I met my friend in Banjul and she greeted me with a sisterly kiss, and then told me she had a cold. I thought to myself, “hey, I love you but get back”, but it was already too late. I brushed it off cause my immune system is pretty good, but the next morning I woke up the next morning with a sore throat; the sneezing, stuffy yet runny nose, fever, chills and body aches were next. I mean no matter how much I rebuked it, drank garlic and ginger tea, downed Echinacea and Vitamin C the bug had me in a choke hold quick, fast and in a hurry! Then it really hit the fan when the bug traveled on down to my lungs, oh my goodness it hurt to cough! I have asthma, that should be enough said: the wheezing and tightness in my chest was next. I continued to pray for my healing and trusted GOD that all would be well.   
 
Healthcare in Gambia is most definitely not healthcare in Chicago! I’ve experienced both. In fact my Asthma had not bothered me for a few years till I started living here; something in the air during the rainy season, especially toward the end of rainy season here. I had an attack in September of 2005 and a friend took me to what was then the main hospital; the teaching hospital. In the emergency room they had one personal nebulizer that they were using for all patients! You couldn’t tell the staff from the patients, roaches were mating near the exam table, dirty, dank, filthy nebulizer! Imagine this: I’m trying to breathe; being held up by my then boyfriend, tears about to come when I stopped and did a mini lecture on the importance of hygiene, infection control and the care of the nebulizer. No joke! I sent my friend to get some bleach in the meantime so I could clean and use the nebulizer. I’m serious; it’s ok to laugh, it was scary funny. Know what I mean? After all that they rushed me off the nebulizer so another patient could use it. That was my first experience with the healthcare system here. 

Thank GOD that I’m a nurse! Rests assure that I now have my own nebulizer here with me; got two just in case! Getting the medication required to use it is no problem since many medications here don’t require a prescription. Huh, what?! Yes, I said that: no prescription! So I’m able to go to the pharmacy and ask for what I want and administer it. Anyone can go to the pharmacy and ask for what they want: antibiotics, pain med, Malaria medication, even diazepam (Valium). Not safe, but hey it’s the system! Most pharmacies employ nurses that may or may not be able to answer your question, that’s if they feel up to it.  

So after two weeks I do feel better now. In fact today was the first day of registration for Session Four of my organization, It’s Nice To Be Nice (INTBN) International’s, “Female Adult Literacy Program”. Yayyy! We registered over twenty females today! That’s really our capacity, but we will allow twenty five. We’ve invited families associated with, “Prison Fellowship”, an international org that works with prisoners and their families. We are working to educate the wives, daughters and other female family members of those incarcerated.  

Ladies waiting to register for INTBN's Literacy Program
After that I went to my Rotarian Meeting and then a sort of date; I'll tell you about that later. 
Men!

2 comments:

  1. Fab...enjoy traveling with you, even though i am here, look forward to your sort of date! Anna

    ReplyDelete