Tuesday 2 October 2012

Slave Mentality

Let's begin exploring mentalities.

Yesterday I left off with how I think that success African women are phenomenons. Just in case you're unsure, Dictionary.com defines phenomenon: remarkable or exceptional person; prodigy; wonder.

Truly for women in Africa to overcome the mindsets of most African cultures, traditions, beliefs and religions here in Africa is a phenomenon. From birth they are taught to serve males, no matter what age the male may be. It's the old adage: "a woman's place is in the bedroom and kitchen". To break out of the mold or not to conform to the norm, your family, friends, neighbors and anybody else that gossips will say that, "she's wicked or she has a devil". Of course that's until the woman succeeds then everybody jumps on her bandwagon.

Of course we know that this mentality is not confined to Africa alone, but we do know that Africa is the birthplace of the human race, soooooo! That brings me to "slave mentality". As an African American I among the many brothers and sisters of the African Diaspora and the philosophy of "slave mentality is lung all over the place to explain our behaviors, thought patterns and how we see and respond to the world. Well to that I say bull....!

What we need to understand is African Mentality, because before slavers came to Africa there was and still is an African Mentality. To call everything "slave mentality", is like saying that before slavery, before colonization Africans didn't think and we know better that that. From Africa came the first civilizations, history, math, astronomy, and medical books. There was an African Mentality that allowed an already rich people to unite with strangers to sell their brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers. You may not want to accept this, but it can and does still happen now! The mother of the first child I offered educational support to here  brought her to me with her little clothes in a bundle telling me to take her, that her life would be better with me. Oh my goodness, all I could so was cry! I told her I would never do such a thing and she felt insulted. I could've been anybody, she didn't know me, nor could she speak any English to be able to understand what my agenda was with her child. 


Truth be told that is you backed up a ship to many if not most countries in Africa today you could fill it up without a slave driver holding a whip. The problems with many Africans and those of African descent is that we continue to see what's outside Africa better than what's in Africa including ourselves, her people. We'll shout and rant that the world is stealing our resources while holding the door open. There are harsh and very hurtful realizations, but they are living truths!

When many an Africa woman or man is envious of what someone else has or achieved: clothes, job, car, or what have you they go to a "witch doctor or animist" and pay that person to conjure up evil toward them that's African Mentality and existed before slavery. Is still exist today in that manner and we know about the PHD (Pull Him Down) syndrome.

This same mentality allows our young and sadly even older individuals to join destructive forces that kill our neighborhoods, communities, families and people.

In order for us to better understand ourselves we must look beyond slavery and its affects on our psyche, so called, "slave mentality", but explore and respect African Mentality. Doing so you will grasp more of where I'm coming from and by doing so understand more about me since that's who this journey belongs to.

I hate to do this but it's fact: Jewish people have been enslaved and slaughtered more than once, but you do find them destroying their communities, doing drive by killings or filling jail cells. If any thing they have united in all aspects of their lives. So is their response to oppression the other side of the coin of 'slave mentality"?  


In holding on to the "slave mentality" thought processes we continue to blame our ills, lack, despair on others and not accept responsibility for ourselves and each other. Claiming "slave mentality" is slavery within it self. Our ancestors were victims, we are not. Too many people have died, fought and taught for us to hold on to this frame of mind. You know the saying, "free you mind and your ass will follow"! Well we need to get moving. I'm telling many negative forces are hoping we'll continue to cling to that "slave mentality" way of thinking and doing things, by doing so we continue to fight each other, fill jail cells and not recognize what's important to our mental, spiritual and financial well being. In fact if we hold on to that ideology that means that those same forces that cause us so much grief are also responsible for our successes, uh huh now grab that! But on the contrary, we take ownership of our successes, but place blame for faults, hmmmmm.


Ok, I won't always be so hard! This is going to be fun, trust me! From time to time I'll post pictures of the area where I'm living here in Gambia,a working class hood (Kanifing South) and the house I'm renting, some of my Africa Fashion Designs, historical sites and just some out and about pics. I'll even keep you posted on the upcoming May 2013 "Roots Homecoming Festival" here.

I'm open for discussion, but like I said this is my journey and you got yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment