Monday 8 October 2012

Lions, tigers and bears oh my!

More like chickens, roosters, goats and sheep! Oh yeah, don't forget the cats, dogs and some occasional cows. Those are the animals I see on a daily basis here.

The movie, "Coming to America" is ludicrous! I've never watched it completely from start to finish. I found it offensive and even though I had not been to Africa when the movie was released I knew it was far from the truth. No elephants, giraffes, zebras or gazelles are grazing or leaping in my yard.

And as far as people walking around naked: well you may see a woman breast feeding, but that's a natural part of life you see that all over the world. The only naked people I see are tourist from Europe. Seriously, I was at the pool of a five star hotel on Saturday when this mature woman of European descent sauntered up, took off her dress and dove in the pool with only her panties on. Then after she announced the temperature of the water she got out of the pool, took off her panties and hung them over a chair to dry. This is not uncommon poolside or the beach. It doesn't matter whether children are present or not.

These are just myths, assumptions, maybe even overactive imaginations that exotic animals and naked women are scampering about.  

Poverty is evident, but so is wealth. I guess the 2% rule applies all over the world! Sure people are suffering and lack many necesities and conveniences that we from the West may take for granted, but in this part of Africa children are not sitting around with flies swarming around their faces with swollen bellies. Thank GOD, I'd be an emotional mess if that was so. It's hard enough to accept the poverty and lack I see as it is here. The imbalance of wealth is just as prevelant here as it is in the West.

It's hard to see many children working while many are in school. It is not rare to see children selling fruit, peanuts, car accessories, local hand fans, pouched of water, etc on the beaches, roadside and local markets. Every cent that can be added to the family income is needed for so  many to survive. If there is more than one child and enough money for school the male child will go to school before the female child, even if she's older.

School is said to be free for all children here, but there are registration fees, books, uniforms and a host of other expenses that cancels out that free part. If families with limited resources have to choose between eating and other necessities instead of school expenses, school loses.

It's not a secret that Gambia is a destination for many looking for sexual favors. It's a disgustingly common thing to see an elderly man coupled with a young lady or an elderly woman with a young man. The elder is looking for the sexual and the African is looking for a way out of Africa. When I got here in 2004 a British man had raped a ten year old girl. Yes, horrible, she was disfigured and ruined for life. He was able to pay a bribe to leave the country.

My second project here was helping to educate little girls. My first was and remains is providing free health education. I met young girls selling fruit and peanuts on the beaches that are frequented by letches, not only tourist keep in mind and it pained me into action! I would meet with the families of these girls to explain the danger and the opportunity. The Project was based on a five year plan; get the girls in school, get tutors to bring them up to speed, help them gain a sense of self and the world and understand their value. Once the girls were in high school they could move into other programs that support that age. Our girls are now in high school! 

You don't have to be financially wealthy in order to reach out and help someone. They need only you and what you may have. I promise you that the person you help has less than you and that could be in love, your professional expertise or just a conversation. I give because I know what it means to have so little.
My girls!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment